Yesterday while I was driving to Wegmans (yes, they do have Wegmans here - two of them!), I was listening to a preacher on the radio talk about "the one essential thing". He was referring to the quiet time a person has with the Lord before the day begins. Typically I don't listen to sermons or talk radio much, it's not really something that captivates the kids, but this message caught my attention and I listened intently.
I've been thinking a lot lately about spiritual disciplines and how I can implement these more into my life. I often use the excuse that, with little kids, my quiet time is extremely limited, if not non-existent. I was convicted as I thought about how diligently I set aside time each morning back at home to spend with the Lord, but somehow, I've lost my mojo lately. Tim changed his work schedule slightly and he now leaves at 7am each morning (beating the traffic). This means that we both get up earlier. The last three mornings I have feasted on my alone time with God before the rush of my day begins -- it is without a doubt, the one essential thing to my life. I'm thankful for the times when my children see my faith as being strong, but I am also learning to be thankful for those times when they see me stumble. Their hearts are so receptive to what Tim and I model for them. Sometimes, no words are even necessary -- just actions.
Just like the changing of seasons, my moods during these mothering years change. I struggle at times with discontentment. Not towards my husband, or my life, just a general longing for something more. A clarity in my role during this season. I long to write a book, go to a Proverbs 31 conference, have another baby, teach at a christian school, start a new MOPS group - anything but stay where I am. Ultimately, I am longing for the one essential thing. As Tim and I have talked through these things, we decided to come up with a vision for our family. In the same way a company casts a vision for success, we are casting a vision for our home. John 15 talks about the relationship between Christ and believers. A simple illustration of a vine and branches is what Jesus uses to explain to his disciples the importance of staying closely connected to him. The value and need of abiding in Christ -- dwelling in his presence. The vine has two types of branches. Branches that bear fruit, and branches that don't. There is nothing in between.
" If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples" John 15:7-8
I want to bear fruit. I want my children to bear fruit - genuine, real fruit. The vision that we have for our family is to carry forward the work Jesus did. To simply carry it forward. To pass the torch of truth on to our children that they may go forward and learn to live lives that bear fruit. And that may mean seasons of restlessness for me. It means sacrificing my time and energy for the good of my home. But at least now there is a target, a vision that we are working towards.
This past week we celebrated Sam's 5th birthday. When I was writing my thesis I was pregnant with him. I poured over research articles that talked about how the first five years of a childs life are some of the most critical foundation laying years. And now, he has passed them. What a blessing children are and yet, what a responsibility! So now I look forward with renewed passion to my 'one essential thing' in order to guarantee my ability to carry forward the work Jesus did.
I love hearing you write!!! I will be the first in line to buy your book when you write it cause you write with such transparency! One of the many things I love about you my friend. I have been wrestling lately with similar thoughts and feelings of discontentment and longing to have that "one essential thing mapped out". (not that that should suprise us right?) My Mum reminded me of her own wrestlings at a similar time in her life and she pointed me to Susannah Wesley whose motto and prayer was - "Lord make my life count through my children!" Wow didn't he answer that prayer in extraordinary ways! So just as you have come to the similar point - I too am bunkering down at home, pouring into my children the truth of God's word and the practical application to their little lives which will give them the nutrients to bolster the roots of their faith and hold them in good stead for future times when the winds of affliction and temptation will come!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you my friend!
P.S. Looked at flights yesterday :)
Laura, I loved this post! Thank you so much for sharing. I totally relate to seasons of restlessness; in fact, I think I'm in one right now, so this was very timely!
ReplyDeleteI really appreciated your transparency, as well, and I love the idea of casting a vision for our families. Definitely something I'll be talking about with Matt.
Looking forward to having you guys back!
Love,
Erin